Signposting page

If we are unable to help you, there are a number of other organisations who may be able to assist or offer advice, depending on the circumstances. Click the tabs below to see further information about these organisations.

Housing and Property related ombudsman, redress and ADR schemes
Tenancy Deposit Disputes
Enforcement and Regulatory Organisations
Professional Trade Associations
Consumer Advice
Government Departments
Other Advice


Housing and Property related ombudsman, redress and ADR schemes: There are other property and housing schemes who may be able to help you.

Name Complaints about About Website
Property Redress Scheme Property agents and professionals Government approved, for profit, redress scheme.
Housing Ombudsman Service Social Landlords, Housing Associations, Local Authorities Independent, not for profit Ombudsman covering the social housing sector.
Financial Ombudsman Service Mortgage Brokers, Financial Advisors, Building Warranties and other financial products Independent, not for profit Ombudsman covering the financial sector.
Legal Ombudsman Conveyancers, Solicitors and other legal services Independent, not for profit Ombudsman covering the legal sector.
Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution Surveyors, Solicitors, Homes For profit ADR body, providing services to various sectors.
Ombudsman Services Energy and Communications Independent, not for profit Ombudsman covering the energy and communication sectors
Furniture Ombudsman Home improvements, furniture and retail Independent, not-for-profit Ombudsman covering the home improvement, furniture and retails sectors.
Removals Ombudsman Removal and Storage companies Independent, not for profit Ombudsman covering the removals and storage sectors

Tenancy Deposit Schemes: These schemes deal with tenancy deposit disputes.

Name Website
Deposit Protection Service
MyDeposits Jersey
MyDeposits Northern Ireland
MyDeposits Scotland
SafeDeposits Scotland
Tenancy Deposit Scheme
Tenancy Deposit Scheme Northern Ireland

Enforcement and Regulatory Organisations: Can help if you have concerns that the conduct of a service provider could be illegal or breach consumer protection legislation

Name About Website
Action Fraud National reporting centre for fraud and cyber-crime.
Advertising Standards Authority Independent advertising regulator
Competition and Markets Authority Works to promote competition for the benefit of consumers, to make markets work well for consumers, business and the economy.
Equality and Human Rights Commission Promotes and monitors equality and human rights across the protected grounds.
Information Commissioner Independent regulator in relation to personal data
National Trading Standards Estate and Letting Agency Team Lead enforcement authority in relation to letting agents and estate agents
Rent Smart Wales Licencing authority for landlords and letting agents operating in Wales
Financial Conduct Authority – FCA Regulates the financial services industry in the UK.

Professional Trade Associations – There are number of professional trade associations who will also deal with complaints against their members.

Name About Website
Association of Independent Inventory Clerks A trade membership body for independent inventory clerks
The Association of International Property Professionals A membership organisation for companies selling international property
Association of Retirement Housing Managers A professional trade body for Retirement Housing Managers
Association of Residential Managing Agents Professional trade association for residential managing agents in England & Wales.
ARLA Propertymark A trade membership body for letting agents
ARLA Propertymark inventories A membership organisation for in-house and independent inventory providers
The British Property Federation A membership organisation devoted to representing the interests of all those involved in real estate ownership and investment
The Chartered Institute of Building A trade membership body for the construction industry
Council of Letting Agents A trading association for letting agents in Scotland, set up by the Scottish Association of Landlords for their letting agent members
Conveyancing Association A professional trade membership body for the conveyancing industry.
The Council of Property Search Organisations A trade association for the property search industry.
Ethical Landlords Association A professional membership trade body for the letting industry.
Federation of Private Residents’ Association Professional membership body managed by a volunteer committee of nominated Directors and Honorary Consultants.
Housebuilders Federation A professional trade membership body for the homebuilding industry.
Guild of Residential landlords A professional membership body for landlords and estate agents in England and Wales.
Institute of Residential Property Management Professional body for residential property management professionals,
London Landlord Accreditation Scheme & UK Landlord Accreditation Partnership A not for profit accreditation scheme for landlords and letting and managing agents in London (LLAS) and outside London (UKLAP).
NAEA Commercial Propertymark A professional trade body for commercial and business transfer agents.
NAEA Propertymark A professional trade body for estate agents.
National Landlord Association A professional trade body organisation for landlords.
Safeagent A professional trade body for letting and managing agents in the private rented sector.
National Association of Property Buyers A professional trade body for professional buying companies.
NAVA Propertymark A professional trade body for with Auctioneers and Valuers
National House Building Council A professional trade body for warranties and new homes industry.
National Leasehold Group An independent networking group for leasehold managers and practitioners from across the sector.
Ombudsman Association A professional trade association for ombudsmen and complaint handlers, their staff and others interested in the work of independent complaint resolution
The Property Codes Compliance Board The Property Codes Compliance Board (PCCB) is an independent compliance body whose work centres on the Search Code and the Invasives Code, used by solicitors and surveyors during house purchase
Residential Landlords Association A professional trade body organisation for landlords
The Residential Property Surveyors Association A professional trade body for independent specialist residential surveyors who are accredited by the recognised Surveyor and Valuer Accreditation (SAVA)
Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors A professional trade body primarily for the surveying and construction industry.
Scottish Association of Landlords A professional trade body organisation for landlords and letting agents in Scotland.
Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners Professional body for practitioners in the field of trusts and estates.
UKALA Professional Trade body for letting and management agents.

Consumer Advice: Consumer organisations will be able to provide specialist advice and guidance regarding a range of different areas.

Name About Website
ACORN A consumer organisation set up as first and foremost a tenant’s union.
Age UK Charity aiming to improve life for everyone through their information and advice, campaigns, products, training and research.
Citizens Advice Organisation providing free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.
Citizens Advice Consumer Services Provides guidance and signposting for consumer issues.
Civil Legal Advice Provides free legal advice for those entitled to legal aid
Consumer Credit Counselling Service Debt advice
Generation Rent Campaigning with private renters for professionally managed, secure, decent and affordable privately rented homes.
Homeowners Alliance A consumer group promoting the interests of homeowners and aspiring homeowners.
Housing Advice NI Housing advice for Northern Ireland
Landlord Accreditation Scotland A voluntary accreditation scheme for landlords & agents operating in Scotland.
Landlord Action Eviction specialist providing a service to landlords and agents.
Law Centres Federation Not for profit legal practices providing free legal advice and representation to disadvantaged people.
LawWorks A charity providing free legal help to individuals and community groups who are unable to access legal aid.
LEASE An advisory service for members of the public on leasehold issues.
Marks Out of Tenancy An information sharing portal for tenants and consumers.
MIND A mental health charity for England and Wales.
Money Saving Expert A journalistic website aimed at providing consumers money saving guides, tips, tools and techniques
National Debt Line Helpline providing free advice on how to deal with debt problems.
Resolver A tool to help consumers raise complaints.
Samaritans Confidential emotional support for people in the UK
Shelter A homelessness charity working in England, Wales and Scotland.
The Tenants Voice A UK wide tenant support community offering advice and support.
Trust for London An independent charitable Foundation aiming to tackle poverty and inequality in London.
Which? Consumer organisation offing consumer rights advice and products and services.

Government Departments: There are a number of government agencies and bodies who have an interest in the property sector

Name Website
Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy – BEIS
Homes England
Land Registry

You can find other useful advice on